Sunday, October 12, 2008

My Little Pumpkins

Well once again I've fallen way behind on posting. So this one will go Friday, 10/3 through today, Sunday, 10/12.

On Friday, Randy was off and able to go with me to see the babies and help feed. Everyone took all of their first nipple feed, slowly but surely. Everyone but Ricky is on nipple feeds 2xs a day. Since Ty had been pulling his nasal cannula out of his nose and wearing it down by his mouth or pulled up in his eyes with his sats still in the 90's, they decided to d/c it. they ordered we can put the o2 back on him if he needs it while he eats. Saturday (10-4) was a busy day for the babies. they had lots of visitors. The morning started out with MoMo, Randy's mom and then Kristi, me, and the girls got their right around noon. We fed all the boys their bottles and then I was able to try to breastfeed Leah since she was so far the best at taking her bottle. She latched on for about 3 minutes and then she took all of her bottle. Their nurse, Cindy, helped us taken some cute pictures with the girls holding Ty and Heath. and then I got to hold Ty and Heath together. We had alot of fun with them. Then, Nana and Pa, my parents came up that afternoon. Heath was working on sucking his thumb today, little toot. So we wore them out and they were pooped the rest of the evening and Sunday. These were their weights and lengths as of Sunday 10-5-08: Ricky: 4lbs. 9 1/3oz, length: 17.32inches; Heath: 4lbs. 12 1/2oz, length: 16.93 inches; Ty: 4lbs. 3.7oz, length: 15.94inches; Leah: 3lbs. 12.6oz, length:16.14 inches.
On Sunday they upped Leah to nipple every other feed, Heath & Ty nipple 3xs a day, Ricky 2xs a day.

Monday (10-6) was my birthday (we're not going to mention how old). So "Happy Birthday to me, I have 4 sweet babies." This week, I decided to leave earlier in the am so I could try to get to feed everyone at least once or more. I haven't mentioned lately how much the babies are eating. (An ounce equals 30ml/cc.) On Monday Ricky was at 39ml, Heath was taking38ml, Ty got 37ml, and Leah was at 30ml. They stopped adding the beneprotein to Heath's milk today. Ricky was still on 3L at 30% on his nasal cannula, Heath was down to 0.25L/NC at30%, Ty was still doing good on room air, no help needed except a little during feeds, and Leah was on 0.25L/NC at 30%. All were nippling pretty good, taking all or usually close to it. they all will desat at times while they eat. Their still trying to get down sucking, swallowing, and breathing routine. the sucking and swallowing reflex doesn't develop until around 36 weeks. The babies are only at 33weeks at this point. So some days we do better than others.

On Tuesday (10-7) the quads had their 2nd eye exam. There's this little retractor that is used to hold the eye open while it is being examined. We use the same type when we would do cataracts in surgery. Well, I just took a quick glance when they were doing Heath while I was feeding Ricky. Not cool. So obviously, I didn't watch. they were all squealing when it was there turn. bless their hearts, they get their eyes dilated and then the retractor put in and they don't get any block like adults do for cataract surgery. the exams totally wiped them out for the rest of the day. None of them bottle fed well after that. But after it was all said and done, there eyes looked great! The eye doctor, Dr. Packwood, said they all had normal development for their age. They had improved since their 1st exam. He said he would recheck them again in 2 more weeks just because of their age, being so early. Leah was desatting more today with her feeds. She was getting tired out from nippling every other feed and she was constipated.

Wednesday (10-8) we had our own little pumpkin patch! Elizabeth , their nurse on the night shift had gotten them all decked out in their pumpkin onsies I had bought and the little pumpkin hats my Aunt Barbara had sent. Elizabeth had also coordinated all their bedding, Halloween of course! They were so cute. It was a wonderful surprise for me. One night the nurses also made them signs with their names for their beds and they lined up their 1st teddy bears on the shelf above their beds. They do try to make things as homely as possible for us. They are all so sweet and enjoy loving on our babies too! Ricky had his oxygen turned down to 2L/NC at 25%, Heath was changed to 1/2 L at 21%, Leah's was bumped back up to 1/2L at 40% since she seemed to need a little more, and Ty was still off the O2. Leah also had her nipple feds backed down to 2xs a day since she seemed to be tired out and dropping her sats more when she ate. Randy changed Leah's diaper, it was the first of all of them! Ty and Heath had the hood lifted on their warmer's today. It's a trial to see if they can hold his temp in an open crib. Leah finally pooped after getting a suppository. All the kiddos had their hearing test today and PASSED!!! One more thing accomplished and prayer answered!

On Thursday, 10-9, That stopped adding the beneprotein to Ty's milk. Their feeds were :Ricky 41ml, Heath-40ml, Ty-39ml, and Leah-33ml. Leah's sats were better today after she cleaned out her gut. The nurse practitioner said I could start trying to breastfeed the boys once a day and decided to wait on Leah since her sats have been up and down. I tried Ricky and Ty today. They both did pretty well for their first time. Both latched on for about 3 minutes. I didn't try too long so they wouldn't get tired out. It's funny watching them trying to figure out what to do, but they get the hang of it.

Friday, 10-10 the baby's were at their 34 week gestation mark. They stopped their caffeine today and they did well keeping their heart rates and sats up. Leah had her warmer hood opened at the beginning of the night shift and Ricky's was the beginning of the day. They all have been holding their temperatures . Sometimes the nurses put an extra layer under their sleeper to help out or an extra blanket, but its going good. Today was also report card day for the first 6 weeks. Jenna made all A's and had perfect attendance. They had a little awards program that afternoon to get their certificates. Then for a treat we went to Stephenville that afternoon so she could go get her nails painted. She came out with bright yellow fingernails and pink and black zebra striped toes!

Saturday, I headed up early to help start feeding the babies. The boys were changed to nippling every other feed and Leah switched back to 3xs a day. The beneprotein was taken out of her milk today to see if that helps her from getting constipated. I hope it works. I got to breastfeed all the boys once and they all latched on from 3-5 minutes, which is fine for being so young and still learning. They had lots of visitors again today. MoMo, Nana and Pa, Granny, and Jenna all came for some cuddle time.

Sunday we stayed home because I was exhausted. I had things to try to get out of the floor in my bedroom and the baby's room, laundry, and try to get this blog updated! Leah's sats were going up and down again and they had to stop her nipple feed and gavage it instead because she was dropping too low. So today they got a chest xray to make sure she hadn't aspirated. It was fine, no aspiration but she did have dilated bowel show up because once again she hasn't pooped in days. I've been on poop patrol all week trying to help keep everyone aware of who's going and who's not. It might sound a little wacky but its a must. So then she got a KUB done (xray of belly) and low and behold she's full of poop and air! They were trying to hold off and see if she would go on her own because we don't want her to get in the routine of always needing help to get things moving. But the nurse practitioner decided to go ahead and give her a suppository because she was really full. She finally had a huge blowout on the night shift. Heath did too earlier, he was a few days behind but managed to take care of business on his own. Their weights as of Sunday are Ricky: 5lbs 1 1/2 oz, Heath:5lbs 5 3/4oz,

Ty: 4lbs. 11 1/2 oz, and Leah: 4lbs 6 1/2 oz. Ty is pulling ahead on who's the best a bottle feeding. But all in all we've had another good week! Thanks so much for all the prayers. Add an extra one in for me this coming week. I go back to work on Tuesday! You might pray for my coworkers having to put up with my scattered brain!

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

awwww...the little punkins are TOO CUTE! what great nurses! woman, it is SO good that you are writing all of this down. for the life of me, i can't remember anything from the past year that isn't written down in my blog. sounds like you have been so busy. glad everyone has been doing good. i will definitely say a little prayer for you on tuesday as you go back to work...i can imagine how hard that will be! (i've already forgotten all of my nursing skills! ahhh!) love you, woman! you are doing such an awesome job!!!