Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

CHICKEN POX!!!!!

Yes, Ricky had the chicken pox! Yes, he had the vaccination but its not full proof! The chicken pox are going around the elementary school and we must have been exposed one of the days I walked up to the school with the babies in their stroller to meet Jenna after school. Ricky's first spots showed up on his leg on Thursday, April 1st, but I thought they were probably ant bites. Well, on Friday he had them in his hair, neck, back and starting on his trunk. We thought maybe he was allergic to something in the yard since Randy had just mowed, everything is blooming, and grass and weeds are coming up. So I pulled out one of my nursing assessment books and low and behold, those spots/rash sure resembles the chicken pox! So I dosed him with Benadryl all day, cortisone cream, and gave him oatmeal baths to see if it would help(hoping still it was an allergic rxn). Nope. So I called dear Dr. Dayton at home on Saturday afternoon to see if he would look at him for me. Of course he would and yes, they looked like chicken pox just atypical since he had the vaccination. Thankfully no one else broke out with them! Bless his heart, his eyes were driving him crazy! They were red, swollen and itching like crazy!
Ricky in his oatmeal bath.

The poor guy had a cluster on top of his right eye lid and in his left eye. OUCH! He had them in his hair line in front and back, on his neck, trunk/tummy the worst. the ones on his arms and legs weren't too bad. Actually all was pretty mild since he had had the shot.


Such a sad face!



The ones on his neck that went up the back of his head. his hair would be nice and greasy from me rubbing cortisone cream in it!

All in all in did pretty well all week with them. But every night he woke up between 12:30 and 1:30am because he was so stopped up that he couldn't breathe. I would give him another dose of Benadryl and then some other congestion medicine. then about an hour later I would put him back to bed after I knew he was breathing better and clearer. Tiring week, but we made it!


No comments: